16 Aug 2004

Lambs of God - by Marele Day

I cannot imagine seeing this book in a shop and being compelled to buy and read it. It was handed to me by a good friend a long time ago. She and I often trade views on books we've read and she thought it might interest me. It took quite a while to get to the head of my queue, but it was worth reading when I finally got around to it.

The story is about three nuns - 2 aging and one younger - who live in an isolated, derelict convent. They have had no contact with the outside world for many years and have developed a unique lifestyle and way of thinking. The pattern of their lives is disturbed by the sudden arrival of a visitor - a young priest, who was under the impression that the place was uninhabited.

The priest has ideas for the convent and for the nuns. The nuns have other ideas. The story outlines how these views are resolved. In the process we get tantalizing glimpses of the history of both the people and place. The story is told from the viewpoint of different characters at different times and this illustrates how perceptions can vary.

No comments: