13 Sept 2004

Temptation - by Dermot Bolger

This book has three features, that I'm always pleased to find: a beginning, a middle and an ending. It's not simplistic, but has a straightforward, comprehensible structure and a great build up of tension.

The story is about Alison, who, with her family, has gone away for a week at a seaside hotel, like they do every year. But, this time, two things have changed: her husband is called away on a business matter and she runs into an "old flame" who is also staying there.

The story is told from her viewpoint. Although I like reading a story told from a woman's viewpoint, I can't help wondering how accurate that can be, given that the book was written by a man.

The character Mark is very credible. I guess that I could empathize with him in many ways. He was shy when he was younger. Now, having lost his wife and two daughters in a road accident, he feels lost.

I like to learn things from reading a book. I also like to gain insights. I think the following passage is very moving:

"Do you often forget she's dead?"

"I did last Tuesday," he replied. "For a whole ten seconds. The time it took to start the van, then remember that I'd nothing to go home to. You don't forget people are dead, it's just that sometimes you forget that death is forever."


No comments: