20 Mar 2005

The Hippopotamus - by Stephen Fry

Another good read. I found it quite easy going and kept turning the pages. Contrary to my initial impression, the story is not as outrageous as Tom Sharpe or Ben Elton's stuff, although I could imagine some people being a little shocked by some of the content.

The story is apparently about a boy with healing powers who is being observed by the narrator of the book. It is not until the end that we learn the whole truth.

A lot of the story is in the form of letters between the narrator and his god-daughter. I quite like this form of writing, as the point of view is always clear.

Fry's use of English is often enjoyable. I liked the simile "bitterer than a forgotten poet" [the narrator is a poet]. A place which is conducive to thought and inspiration is referred to as a "cogitarium". At breakfast, the sideboard was laden with "gleaming tureenery".

I found the leukaemia references a little "close to home".

All in all, I'd say that it is clear that Stephen Fry does have talents beyond his acting and repartee that I have hitherto been familiar with.

No comments: