21 Apr 2005

Up and Down in the Dales - by Gervase Phinn

I was not disappointed. This book is well up to the standard of the previous three in the series. It manages to be amusing and uplifting without being trivial. It's an easy read, but I wasn't keen to rush through, as I didn't really want it to end. I feel I have had another genuine glimpse into other people's lives.

At the end the following prayer is quoted. I found it very moving and would like to share it:

A Parent's Prayer

Always believe in yourself.

Promise always to be compassionate.
Appreciate that you make mistakes.
Recognise that I do too.
Entrust me with your worries.
Never doubt that I will support you when you need me.
Talk to me about things you find difficult.
Share your dreams.

Please understand that I can have moods just like you.
Receive a little advice now and again.
Accept that I sometimes get things wrong.
You need to help me to get things right.
Enjoy your life.
Realise that I love you without reservation.

No comments: