4 Jun 2005

How To Build A Time Machine - by Paul Davies

This book proved to be a surprisingly easy read. It has a good pace and isn't full of mathematics - none actually. I guess it has given me just a tiny bit more insight into modern physics and cosmology. But I remain stuck with some of the fundamentals ...

Take the time dilation experiment with the twins. One stays on Earth, the other flies off somewhere at near light speed. When the travelling twin comes home, they are younger than the one that stayed behind. I am happy with that and can even handle the equations. But it's the relativity bit that I struggle with. Who was moving at high speed? They are simply moving apart from one another - why is the one in the rocket "special"? There isn't supposed to be an absolute frame of reference, so surely their relative speed is what counts.

Guess I don't get it...

No comments: