16 Oct 2005

Cheltenham Literature Festival

I guess it goes hand in hand with enjoying reading and loving books, but I really like to take any opportunity to meet authors or just see them in person.

Last year I discovered the wonderful Cheltenham Literature Festival, which is only 45 mins drive away. On that occasion I just went to see Roddy Doyle talk [my daughters Josie and Emmeline both went to sessions that interested them]. This year, I went to two sessions. Last week I went to one which was presented by the people from a favourite Radio 4 Programme: From Our Own Correspondent. Today I went to see the inimitable Gervase Phinn, who, at 10:00 on a Sunday morning made a whole hall full of people laugh and cry in good measure. Josie also went to a story-telling session last week.

The whole festival is a great event and I must take full advantage in future years. I regret not going to see Alan Bennett this year ...

No comments: