11 Nov 2005

A Wayne in a Manger - by Gervase Phinn

I wanted some easy reading, after the last book, and this fitted the bill, as I read it in two sittings. I have always enjoyed Gervase Phinn's books - his keenly observant style has always appealed to me, as he described his days as a school inspector in the Yorkshire Dales. This book is a collection of pieces around the theme of Christmas. I bought it at the Cheltenham Literature Festival, where I attended Phinn's talk and had him sign my copy. If I were being cynical [me?], I'd say that a successful author is pretty smart to get away with repackaging some work that had been published before, charge a good price for just over a hundred pages of large type and get it on the market in good time for Christmas. Fortunately, I enjoyed it, so I won't be cynical ...

No comments: