30 Apr 2006

Hotel World - by Ali Smith

I've done well and finished this book a whole week before the Bookclub programme - makes a change, as I'm usually behind.

The book is really a set of linked stories. The starting point is an incident where a girl is killed in an accident with a "dumb waiter" at a hotel. She is one of the narrators. There is also her sister and 3 other people.

I found the book rather unsatisfying, as I'm not sure it took me anywhere. I also found it hard to read in parts. Each perspective is written in a different style, characterized I suppose by the "speaker". In one case, the result is a total lack of punctuation. This would be OK for a paragraph or two to make a point, but, for a long chapter, no thanks.

Guess you win some and lose some. I will, nevertheless, look forward to the programme to see what input other readers may have.

No comments: