16 Aug 2010

The Pilot's Wife - by Anita Shreve

I chose this book on the strength of the "blurb" on the back, which promised an intriguing story. On this it delivered. The story starts with a pilot's wife learning of her husband's death in a crash. She then goes on to find out much about him she did not know before.

I found some of the use of language a little awkward, but maybe that is partly to do with the age of the book ('90s), where terms like "telephone receivers" were in common use. Also, it is an American book, so maybe the author can be excused when using the word "ale" to refer to the stuff we drink in pubs. I visualised the laugh I'd get if I ordered a "pint of ale" in most English pubs. Having said this, there is the occasional floweriness or odd turn of phrase that I was disconcerted by. There is a reference to someone's "sexual life"; most people would surely say "sex life".

However, overall I enjoyed the book. It kept me turning the pages, as I wanted to know what would come next, and I read it in a lot less time than the last book! I like the feeling of being engaged with a book and looking forward to the next read and it gave me that. I have no plans to methodically work my way through all the author's other books, but I'd happily read another one if it turns up.

No comments: