12 Jun 2011

What You See Is What You Get: My Autobiography - by Alan Sugar

I was interested to read this book, as I enjoy autobiographies most when they are about someone whose life has been connected, or at least concurrent, with my own. Although the author may not have been familiar to me over all those years, the events that he writes about and his companies and products are very familiar.

The book is quite comprehensive, covering: his early life, starting in business, the rise and fall of Amstrad, involvement with Sky, his work in football, The Apprentice and his recent political activity. The strong factors, that I see all through the story, are his intelligence and clear-sightedness, along with his short temper, but he is always thinking about and relying upon other people.

I am sure that many autobiographies are ghost written. There is something about the style of this one that makes me feel that it really is Alan Sugar's words. In some respects, the writing style is clumsy, but he's not a professional writer. I suppose it could just have been written very cleverly by someone else. I choose to believe the honesty of the writing and enjoyed the book very much.

No comments: