11 Aug 2011

The Donor - by Helen FitzGerald

I was intrigued by the concept of this book - to the extent that I pre-ordered it ahead of publication on Amazon [getting the Kindle version of course]. There is a single Dad with twin daughters, both of whom have a congenital kidney condition which is killing them. What is he to do? There was obviously lots of scope for a dilemma for him.

The subject was handled very well and the book really delivered. I was hooked quite quickly and it soon became hard to put it down. Some of it is rather unpleasant, but not gratuitously so. I am not sure that I liked the main characters, but I am not sure that I was supposed to!

Early on in the book, I thought [feared] I'd spotted an example of the "Dan Brown effect" - i.e. badly researched technical inaccuracies. The main character is using a digital camera in the mid/late 1990s. I later concluded that it was credible that he was an early adopter and had no more "scares". Around the middle of the book, I realize that there would be a twist at the end. I do not think it is obvious - I think I just happened to pick up the clues. It did nothing to diminish my enthusiasm to keep turning the pages.

No comments: