23 Nov 2011

It's Not What You Think - by Chris Evans

I was not a Chris Evans fan. I am not really into music radio generally and what I had seen of him just made me think that he was a bit of a jerk. However, my partner persuaded me to listen to his new [at the time] Radio 2 breakfast show a bit and I had to admit that he is a very skilled operator. She also read this book and recommended it.

I have turned around in my views. Evans is clearly a very special guy. He is smart and creative and this book really feels like he wrote it himself. The honesty shines through. He is very happy to blow his own trumpet, but, when he has screwed up (and he's done that a few times) he never tries to blame anyone else. The story has terrific pace and the idea that each chapter starts with a "top 10" is ingenious. His focus and determination are quite inspiring.

At the end I had the feeling that I would really like to meet him. Maybe he can be on my fantasy dinner party guest list. I look forward to reading the second volume of his story.

No comments: