15 Jan 2012

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society - by Mary Ann Shaffer

I was a little nervous about this book, as I had recommended it to my book club without having read it myself, but I was reassured when a couple of friends told me that they had read and very much enjoyed it. I am even more reassured now that I have read it myself.

This book suited me on all levels. It is a good story, with strong, well rounded characters and I felt confident that I was learning something. There are essentially three stories: the events in the life of the main protagonist, the soap opera of the lives of the Guernsey people and the history of the German occupation.

I very much enjoyed the letter format, which gave the story a pleasing immediacy - almost like email. Although there were dates, I found myself paying little or attention to them. It is quite an emotional book. It starts out very "feel good" and cheerful, but induces other emotions as the story proceeds.

No comments: