6 Feb 2012

The Hunger Games - by Suzanne Collins

I read this book after a strong recommendation from someone, who immediately went on to read the second and third books in the trilogy. I, too, will be reading those before too long. Although quite a long book and, apparently, aimed at "young adult" readers, I found it a gripping read, which I had trouble putting down. Although aspects of the end of the story are somewhat predictable, there are plenty of details and twists and turns in the story that kept me intrigued.

The story takes place in a dystopic society in post-apocalyptic North America at some indefinite time in the future. I suppose it is a kind of science fiction/fantasy, but the most important story element is the characters. It is really about the ultimate TV reality game show - kind of "I'm Not a Celebrity, Get One of US Out of Here Alive". I was interested in the various Roman references: words like "tribute" and "capitol" and the concept of games to the death as entertainment.

I look forward to the movie, which is due to be released next month. I did not look at the trailer before reading the book, but, having seen it now, I am optimistic.

No comments: