19 Jun 2012

The Snow Child - by Eowyn Ivey

I am not quite sure how I feel about this book. I was initially concerned that it would be a fantasy story - a child really made from snow. Or perhaps she would only exist in the minds of the couple, conjured up by their desire to have a child of their own. In due course, I found myself cruising through the book, as it all seemed entirely rational. It was only at the end that I was confused/disappointed. I really don't understand what happened to the girl and this left me dissatisfied. Did she have some kind of breakdown [post-natal depression?] and run off naked into the bitterly cold night and perish? Or was it all some kind of metaphor and I missed it?

Ultimately the book is all about the people carving out an existence in the harsh world of 1920s Alaska, the landscape itself and reflections on the human condition. As such, it is very well written and an enjoyable read.

One odd thing. In most chapters, where there is dialogue between characters, the speech is in quote marks, as you would expect. If the girl is involved, there are no quotes. Why?

No comments: