1 Mar 2014

Deaf Sentance - by David Lodge

I was slightly nervous about reading this book, as, having read and enjoyed quite a few of the author's books some years ago, I had high expectations. However, I was not disappointed, as I enjoyed the book very much.

The story is not fast moving and there is no edge of your seat anticipation of the next chapter. But the pace is fine and the balance between the moving story elements and the comedy - almost farce - are just about right. There are little twists and turns, rather than big surprises - rather like real life most of the time.

Although I would not class it as "a great work of literature", I was impressed by the quality of writing in many places, frequently pausing to reread a particular passage. Sometimes Lodge manages to encapsulate feelings that I well understand into a compact package. For example: "It was a moment when we should have hugged each other, but it is not in our lexicon of body language. The most we could manage was a stronger, longer handshake than usual."

I was wondering whether it was an error or a very subtle use of language when Des said "I squealed to a halt in parking lot ...". I would expect him to say "car park". But was it because he was going to visit an American? I also observe that the door is left ajar for a sequel. Will Alex return?

No comments: