11 Jul 2014

What I'm reading ...

I have started The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett. This is my next book club selection. I was surprised to find that, although the title is very well known, I would not have been able to name the author. I was irritated to find that it was not available on Kindle, so bought a second hand paper copy. Then I found that I could download an electronic version that I could read on my iPad. Here's the blurb:

Sam Spade is hired by the fragrant Miss Wonderley to track down her sister, who has eloped with a louse called Floyd Thursby. But Miss Wonderley is in fact the beautiful and treacherous Brigid O¿Shaughnessy, and when Spade's partner Miles Archer is shot while on Thursby's trail, Spade finds himself both hunter and hunted: can he track down the jewel-encrusted bird, a treasure worth killing for, before the Fat Man finds him?

No comments: