5 Nov 2014

The Spa Decameron - by Fay Weldon

I was warned, when I started this book, that it would be rather feminist. Be that as it may, it was a good read. I thought that it was an interesting ploy - using the spa stay over Christmas as a framework into which a set of short stories could be packaged. This also gave the author the opportunity to write in a number of voices, which was interesting. Some of the stories were more credible than others, but they all kept me turning the pages. Normally, I find short stories rather unsatisfying. 

A particular aspect of the writer's style appealed to me: she seems to go into intricate detail in places, but leave holes for the reader to fill in others. So the text never becomes clumsily verbose or annoyingly sparse. I will certainly come back to Fay Weldon in the future.


No comments: