26 Jan 2015

Heart of Darkness - by Joseph Conrad

The bottom line is that I did not enjoy reading this book. Even though it is quite short, it seemed to drag on for ever without going anywhere. It reminded me of the description of the play Waiting for Godot: "The play in which nothing much happens. Twice." I had the general impression of Marlow rambling on to his shipmates through the night - long after most had fallen asleep. The style of writing is rather Victorian - very much a case of "why use one word when 12 will do". The character Kurtz is supposed to be "memorable", but I was left with no real impression of him and was mystified by Marlow's string feelings about him. When I [mercifully] got to the end of the book, I felt as if I had read a book, from which a large number of pages had been removed. [But, on a Kindle, that would seem unlikely.]

No comments: