3 May 2015

The Red House - by Mark Haddon

It's always an issue, reading another book by an author after you have enjoyed something else by them. In this case, I was far from disappointed. I was very quickly engaged with the book and found it hard to put down, which is surprising because, on some levels, not a lot happened - it is just two families on a week's holiday together. The characters are, IMHO, very clearly drawn. The book is written from [at least] eight viewpoints and changes without any particular warning or indication, but I was never lost; the characters' voices are always clear. I was very impressed by the perspectives of the four male characters, as I could identify with so many details. Both the boys exhibit views that I recall from being their age; some aspects of each man resonate with me.

Will I read any more books by this author? Definitely!

No comments: