16 Jun 2015

The Reality Dysfunction - by Peter F. Hamilton

At over 1200 pages, I think this must be the biggest book that I have ever read in one go. The author uses the large canvas to good effect, constructing a detailed, consistent universe set a few centuries into the future. The story is wide ranging and kept me turning the pages. I also think that the characters are quite well drawn, regardless of there being a large number. I am always critical of the science in science fiction, but this book is quite credible, overcoming long distance travel using wormholes and introducing some novel ideas like biological starships.

Although it was an enormous book, I got through it quite quickly, as I was pulled along by the story. Ultimately, this led to my one disappointment. The end of the book just arrived. It was not really an end - the book just stopped, with numerous story lines still unresolved. Of course, this is just the first book of a trilogy, so there is plenty of time/space for more development. However, am I up for another 3000 or so pages ... ?

No comments: