3 Jul 2015

How It All Began - by Penelope Lively

I am fascinated by the interconnections and complex interactions between people - 6 degrees of separation and all that. This book is primarily about just this subject and addresses it very well.

There are quite a few characters in the book - necessary for such a story - but not too many. And the author handled their presentation quite well - I felt that I had quite a clear picture of all of them. I even found some of the characters quite likeable [Charlotte, Rose, Marion], though not Jeremy, obviously. The story kept me turning the pages and I found it reasonably credible. The wrap-up at the end was slightly artificial, but the only alternative would be to leave matters hanging, which I would find frustrating.

I will certainly be interested in reading more of this author’s work.

No comments: