2 Dec 2015

Business for Punks: Break All the Rules - the BrewDog Way - by James Watt

Here's the blurb for this book:

Don't waste your time on bullshit business plans. Forget sales. Ignore advice. Put everything on the line for what you believe in.
These mantras have turned BrewDog into one of the world's fastest-growing drinks brands, famous for beers, bars and crowdfunding.
Founded by a pair of young Scots with a passion for great beer, BrewDog has catalysed the craft beer revolution, rewritten the record books and inadvertently forged a whole new approach to business.
In BUSINESS FOR PUNKS, BrewDog co-founder James Watt bottles the essence of this success. From finances ('chase down every cent, pimp every pound') to marketing ('lead with the crusade, not the product') this is an anarchic, indispensable guide to thriving on your own terms.

---

I got this book because I am a fan of Brewdog's products and I am one of the numerous investors in the company. I have no plans to start and run a business, but I am always interested in views on this topic and people who take radical new approaches are always interesting. 

I read this book very quickly. It has a fast-paced style that keeps the pages turning. The author has very strong opinions and is not afraid to share them. He is very sure that his way is right and that confidence, to the point of arrogance, oozes from the book. He cites his success with Brewdog for the rightness of his ideas and advice. Who am I to say he's wrong?

The book is full of good quotes and one-liners:
"Your brand is the collated gut instinct of the world at large towards your company and everything you do."
"Attitude is the difference between a setback and an adventure."
"Start a revolution, not a business."
And from Estée Lauder:
"I love reading fashion magazines, they show me exactly what I shouldn't be doing."


By then end of the book, I was so caught up in his enthusiasm, that I thought that I should go out and start a business ... 

No comments: