29 Jan 2016

Inflight Science: A Guide to the World from Your Airplane Window - by Brian Clegg

As expected, this was a pleasant, light-weight read, which air travel as an excuse to discuss various scientific topics. I learned some things here and there and had other matters clarified, which is all I might have expected. However, when I read "When Krakatoa erupted in 1883 around 20 cubic kilometres of ash and rock was spewed out by the explosion – the equivalent of a cube of material around 20 kilometres on each side.”, I was perturbed and somewhat lost faith in the author’s integrity. [A cube 20Km on each side would be 8000 cubic Km; a 20 cubic Km cube would be about 2.7Km on each side. Which did he mean?]

2 comments:

Brian Clegg said...

Thanks for your comments - I'm afraid despite all efforts, most books have the occasional typo/oddity left in them. This was spotted early on and has been fixed in later editions. It now reads approximate 2.7 km on each side.

Brian Clegg
www.brianclegg.net

Colin said...

Thanks for the clarification Brian. Just FYI, I was reading the Kindle edition, but I think I bought it a while back.
Overall, I did enjoy the book.