15 Mar 2016

Instances of the Number 3 - by Salley Vickers

I was attracted by the premise for this book and it did, indeed, provide a good vehicle for the story. It has a good pace and I was soon in “just one more chapter” mode. There are some interesting surprises and twists to the story, that kept me interested. I cannot say that I really understood what was going on in the heads of either of the main characters - but maybe I wasn’t supposed to. Both of them seemed to be solid, loyal kinds of people, but this doesn’t stop them going to bed with a man at the slightest opportunity. I found the life after death angle a bit half-hearted and unconvincing - maybe there were hidden depths that I was missing. The ending of the book was slightly abrupt and I felt the story was left hanging slightly.

I am uncertain about my views of the book overall. The quality of the writing is good, which might lead me to read more of the author’s books. I have a feeling that this is not her best work.

No comments: