23 Oct 2016

Slaughterhouse-Five - by Kurt Vonnegut

This book was quite a surprise. I had always had the impression that the author was “just” a sci fi writer and, whilst that would not mean that I would never read his work, this is a genre that I only dip into from time to time. However, although aspects of this book might be labelled as sci fi, the story as a whole is very down to earth.

I found it s straightforward read and was never confused by wandering in time. So many books nowadays have multiple timelines, that this feels quite normal. I guess it was ahead of its time, as it was written 60+ years ago. I am still not quite sure what to make of Billy Pilgrim, even though his character is examined quite broadly in the book. The story as a whole was thought provoking, looking at “man’s inhumanity to man” type issues and the wider meaning of life (and death) etc. As the author would say, so it goes.

No comments: