27 Apr 2017

The Last Fighting Tommy: The Life of Harry Patch - by Richard van Emden

This book was, as expected, a very straightforward read. Some text is written by the author, so Harry is mentioned in the third person, and the rest is quoting Harry himself. I found this confusing occasionally, as the viewpoint is not clearly labelled, but this was not a big problem. Overall, my goal in reading the book was met: learned quite a lot. Apart from discussion of both world wars, I found the description of life between the wars etc. very interesting. As I lived in Bath for some years, I was particularly interested in Harry’s account of the bombing there. There were a few, easily-fixable, factual errors in some of Harry’s words. I am unsure whether the author didn't notice, didn’t care or left them in for the sake of authenticity.

No comments: