14 Aug 2017

The Winter Ghosts - by Kate Mosse

I am not really sure what to make of this book. I enjoyed reading it and the quality of the writing was, IMHO, very good. The scene descriptions were extremely vivid. My challenge is being asked to accept something that resists rational explanation. I can stand back and accept that apparently irrational things happen in real life, so having this as a basis for a story is fair enough.

I was troubled by the perspective - initiated by the book’s title - that this is a ghost story. I do not believe in ghosts, but, if I did , I am not sure that I would expect them to speak in 20th Century English/French despite being alive so many years before, when the language [Occitane] was quite different.

Overall, I think the writing quality might induce me to sample other work by the author.

No comments: