30 May 2018

Your Life In My Hands - a Junior Doctor's Story - by Rachel Clarke

This book was quite a straightforward read, as the writing is very competent, so it flows well. Some tighter editing would have been helpful, as with many modern books, as there is some repetition.

There are two strands to the book, as is hinted by the blurb. The big one is the discussion of the NHS and its decline resulting from the lack of funding. I was not uninterested in this topic, but I did feel that the message was rather repetitive. The author’s passionate concern about the NHS shine through and I guess her spelling it out in such detail was inevitable.

The other thread was the description of her medical work. This was the part that I really enjoyed, finding a lot of it quite emotional. Thinking back on the book, the medical stories are the part that will stay with me.

No comments: