30 Sept 2018

The Shepherd's Life: A Tale of the Lake District - by James Rebanks

My interest in sheep, to be frank, is very limited and mainly focussed on their role in providing Sunday roast. However, I am always interested in other people’s lives, how they live them and what perspective they have on the world. This book delivered. The content is an interesting mixture of general discussion of life on a Lake District farm and stories from the author’s and his family’s life. It is well written and has a genuine feel to it - I can hear the author’s voice. A few philosophical points are slightly laboured, but I feel that can be forgiven, as they are the expression of some deep seated emotions and beliefs. I expected to say that the book made me want to visit the area and to some extent it does, however, I am left wondering whether tourism is really a benefit to the people there.

No comments: