11 Feb 2019

The Things We Learn When We're Dead - by Charlie Laidlaw

This is an intriguing book, if only because it is hard to categorise. Is it Sci Fi? Well, kind of, but not quite. For most of the time that I was reading the book, I was unable to discern whether the reader is being told about a real situation: a bunch of aliens on a giant spaceship have been messing with human matters for millennia. Or was Lorna simply having a dream as she was on the cusp between life and death.

It is quite detailed and meanders a bit, but I do not think too much. Eventually I spotted a clue to what the story was actually about: it is in the name of the aliens’ home planet. I think that it could have been concealed a little better, but, anyway, it is not obvious. Of course, I am not going to give the answer here!

No comments: