8 Oct 2019

Machines Like Me - by Ian McEwan

Last time I read a book by this author, the first few pages grabbed me and I was off to a flying start. Sadly, the rest of the book was a bit of a disappointment. This book, too, started off well and I feared a repeat of my previous experience. However, my fears were unfounded. The book kept me turning the pages, having pulled me in. I read it in a very short time [for me] - a long airplane ride helped.
I am unsure whether this is a human story with the robot angle as a backdrop, or vice versa. It doesn’t matter as the two threads interleave very well. I find the “alternate history” approach interesting. In this case, the time period is one that I clearly understand, as I lived through it as a young adult. The author weaved in some contemporary politics and issues in interesting ways, some of which I feel are rather tongue in cheek.
Overall, it was a good read that might give some insights into challenges we may be facing in the not too distant future.

No comments: