7 Nov 2019

Utopia for Realists: And How We Can Get There - by Rutger Bregman

I found this book to be a remarkably easy read, as, for a non-fiction book of its type, it has great pace. The language used is very accessible, which I think is a lot to do with the translation [from the original Dutch]. I quickly realized that the author and I were of a like mind on many things. He supports a number of somewhat radical ideas that I, too, espouse. The difference between us is that he has hard evidence to back up his views.

Overall, I think it is an amazing book, which is broadly optimistic, as it shows a way forward for our society that looks very attractive [to me] and it is, at least theoretically, attainable. The book is very up to date - there are references to Trump and Boris - but I think the ideas will last well. It was easily the most understandable and influential political book that I have ever read. I cannot say that it is life changing [for me], as I am unsure that I can do anything individually to move matters forward. However, I will look at who I vote for and what I march for with a new eye.

No comments: