12 Jan 2020

Gates: How Microsoft's Mogul Reinvented an Industry and Made Himself the Richest Man in America - by Stephen Manes and Paul Andrews

This took a while, because it is quite a long book and life got in the way over the holiday. I was never in doubt about pressing on with it, as it has good pace - almost like a novel, with each chapter ending with a “pull” into the next. Although the book is about Gates the man, it is as much about Microsoft and the history of the personal computer. I felt very connected with the story, as it spans my entire adult life and I have always been involved in high-tech. I enjoyed all the detail and was amazed at the somewhat haphazard [one might say reactive] way that Microsoft planned products. From the outside, it always looked like they had a plan!

No comments: