24 Apr 2020

What I'm reading ...

I have started A Beautiful Broken Dream: A Trail Journal in Search of the Myth of America by Steve Bonham. I am not quite sure how I can to purchase this book. Maybe I read a review or perhaps someone recommended it. Anyway, I have since been told that it is a good read. All my life I have been fascinated by America - even if there are many aspects of the country that appall me - so I am interested to read another angle. Here’s the blurb:

Take a picaresque journey in search of the spirit and soul of America, an America beyond the headlines. An antidote to the Age of Trump, A Beautiful Broken Dream is a "trail journal" of stories, poems and lyrics—all tied together by a journey through the most beautiful and haunting landscapes America has to offer.
With Steve Bonham as your guide, visit the great forests of the U.S. and take a trip along the music road from Asheville to Nashville and New Orleans, where you'll be joined by Bonham's sometime-travelling companion and great friend, the artist Dinny Pocock. Endeavour to avoid irritable bears, rattlesnakes, agitated natives and a variety of other challenges while throwing yourself into the heart of Appalachia, the southern states, and the music that flows from it.
What you'll end up with is a wry, compassionate, idiosyncratic and personal view of this land and the truth it holds for all of us.

No comments: