28 May 2020

Normal People - by Sally Rooney

Someone told me that this book was a “romance”. I have concluded that this description is not wrong, but is incomplete. I think that the real message of the book is that there is no such thing as “normal” people. But I think I knew that. The story, at a certain level, describes various people, who can appear normal and then you find out about their quirks. Overall, I found it an enjoyable read.
I was confused about some of the language usage. There is a reference to a “windshield”, which is not British English - is it the Irish English word stolen from American perhaps? Later in the book Marianne gets some money in Euros, but Connell says that he needs “10 quid”. Even if people used to call the Irish Pound a quid, these characters would be too young to have that slang, unless that is universal in Ireland [for Euro].
Another aspect of the book troubled me: none of the dialogue has quotation marks around it. This feels wrong, though I never actually found it confusing. So, maybe quotes aren’t really needed. As I subscribe to the view that the apostrophe should be abolished, I should be comfortable with this.
Lastly, the ending of the book felt a little weak to me. Short of killing off a key character, it is hard to know how to finish such a story.

No comments: