6 Aug 2020

How Not To Be a Boy - by Robert Webb

When I started this book, I wanted something that was not too tough a read. I figured that a memoir authored by a comedy writer [for that is what the book is - the exploration of what it is to be male or not is used as a hook for his story] should fit the bill. I was concerned, however, that it might be too heavy on comedy with not enough substance. I need not have been concerned. The story is well written [though the moving around in time can be slightly unsettling] and it felt very candid; he does not shy away from discussing some very personal issues, like his sexuality and his relationship with alcohol. All in all it succeeded in being a good read and, as I hope from any biography, it gave me a glimpse of a world quite different from my own.

No comments: