10 May 2021

A History of Modern Britain - by Andrew Marr

This book took a while. Partly this is due to it being a big book, me being a slow reader and my life being less conducive to reading from time to time lately. It is also because there is a lot of stuff in it and that takes time to process.
The book covers essentially 1945-2017, so all of my life  is encapsulated. I learned a great deal. Mostly about the political situation in my younger life, where I really had no idea what was going on. But also the background to Brexit, which was not really that clear to me - why would anyone vote to sabotage they country’s economy?
The book is well written and well paced. It feels very well researched and reliable. The last chapter confused me a little, as it “felt” different and is almost written backwards. I understand that it was added for the second edition, which explains the slight disconnect.

No comments: