17 Jul 2021

Sunfall - by Jim Al-Khalili

First off, I thought that this was a great book. It is well written and interesting and its pace is just right - I was glued to it for the last 100 pages or so.

I had wondered how a scientist would do with science fiction. As expected, there is lots of science in the book: the Earth’s magnetic field flip, global warming, artificial intelligence, virtual reality, self-driving vehicles, dark matter, ubiquitous Internet. I am sure that there is more. In almost every case, I felt that the story was true to the science, with only a tiny hiccup, which I will come to. I found the depiction of the world 20 years hence entirely credible.

The tiny glitch was minor and maybe I missed something. One of the protagonists is going to ride her motorbike. She grabs the Lithium ion batteries and sets off. It starts first time. She has a crash and, while lying on the ground, she observes that the engine is still running. This raises questions/issues:

  • Will we still be using Lithium ion batteries in 20 years?
  • The bike starting first time is rather meaningless; why wouldn’t it?
  • The bike engine running when stationary makes no sense.

No comments: