4 Jul 2022

Let's Do It: The Authorised Biography of Victoria Wood - by Jasper Rees

I always like biographies (and autobiographies), but they vary so much in quality and honesty. Biographies are often less well researched and can paint a distorted view of their subject. This book seemed to be written with integrity on the basis of some very solid research. 

I am not a fast reader, so this long book took a while, but it kept me turning the pages. The strongest impression was that VW was a very different and more complex character than her public persona appeared. Even though I knew the book was not going to have a happy ending, I found it more emotional than I might have expected.

A tiny reservation was that I felt that the book could use a little more editing. I saw a couple of typos and there are a few facts/events that we are told about more than once for no clear reason.

No comments: