10 Nov 2022

Wish You Were Here - by Jodi Picoult

I had high hopes this for this book and I was not even slightly disappointed - it was, IMHO, a cracking read.
Without spoiling the surprise, the “But not everything is as it seems . . .” in the blurb is an understatement; around the middle of the book is an amazing U-turn that almost made me gasp with surprise. It is the kind of book that could have had a predictable ending or just petered out, but that is not the JP style. The ending is a work of genius: a full stop made up of a couple of sentences.
Through the book there is much detail on COVID and its treatment. Knowing that the author does very thorough research, I am confident that I have learned stuff. There is also much discussion on the psychological effects of the pandemic, much of which sounded familiar to me.
I discovered that JP has written something like 27 novels and I have only read about three. The feeling that there is so much more of her work for me to get lost in is exactly what makes reading such a source of joy.

No comments: