1 Feb 2005

I Sleep at Red Lights - by Bruce Stockler

I enjoyed this book. Like most well-written autobiographies, it was a fascinating page-turner. Although it is supposed to be about being a stay at home dad and parent to triplets, it has much wider scope. It is very honest and personal - lots of thoughts on what family life and relationships are all about. I found the dynamics of his marriage very interesting. The study of the very well-defined characters of the children was beautifully sketched - I feel like I know them.

I was happy that it was an "untranslated" American book. I have commented elsewhere about bad translation. It served to remind me that I often find American lifestyles very foreign - there are many things that I don't identify with ... Some of the terminology was new to me. I can guess what a "play date" is, even if we don't really have a term for it. I was rather foxed by "tag sale" [what is it?] and "step-down unit" [in a hospital]. As a wise man once said: "Two great nations separated by a common language."

I'd recommend this book to anyone - it'll make you smile [and blink occasionally ...] and it'll make you think about your own life.

No comments: