26 Feb 2005

The Silver Pigs - by Lindsey Davis

I enjoyed this book. It's quite a straightforward read. I look forward to getting some more in the series.

The concept of placing the story in Roman times is interesting and does seem to work. I have reasonable faith in the author's integrity, which is important for me to be able to believe in a story. It was interesting trying to relate the Roman place names to modern England, for example.

I enjoyed some of the humour. I do wonder whether going to Britain would have been viewed quite some gloomily. I have an idea that the climate was better then.

I found the Roman people's names hard to deal with. They had several names, like we do, but they seem to be used differently. What I found confusing was the apparently inconsistent use of parts of names. For example, Publius Camillus Meto is variously referred to [by the author, not in dialogue] as Publius, Meto and Camillus Meto.

All in all, I'd recommend this book.

No comments: