24 May 2005

Dimension of Miracles - by Robert Sheckley

The story is, on the surface at least, a fantasy romp through the galaxy. I found some parts more convincing than others and some of the writing style was a bit laboured.

There are distinct parallels with Douglas Adams' work for sure. The idea of Earth being specifically constructed is familiar, but the idea that God simply sub-contracted the work is different from DA's more "industrial" approach. The sentient city of Bellwether reminded me of the ship-board computer, the doors with attitude and Marvin.

I was interested in the concept of locating somewhere in the Universe effectively in five dimensions: 3 spatial, time and probability. They could find Earth in space and select the right time, but then it was a matter of choosing the correct "version" of Earth.

And what was the "predator" all about?

I was rather dissatisfied with the ending and wondered whether this was some kind of comment upon the world that we live in. Overall, I was left with a feeling that the author was drawing some far-reaching metaphor which I am not intellectual enough to grasp.

No comments: