30 May 2005

The Snapper - by Roddy Doyle

It was no surprise that I enjoyed reading this book. Guess that's why it only took me a few days.

The story is basically about Sharon getting pregnant out of wedlock by mistake and the implications on her, her family and those around her. It is a serious story, but hardly a page goes by without something making you smile or laugh out loud.

Doyle is a master at evoking a feeling of "being there". I have no experience of being in a working class Irish household, but I do feel I've been visiting one over the last few days. I think it is his rendition of the very individual dialect that makes the dialogue come alive. At times, I have to wonder if they are talking English at all! Here are some examples of local turns of phrase:
"Snapper" = baby - I guess this comes from "whippersnapper".
"Young one" = teenager or young person, usually referring to the opposite sex.
"Old one" = elderly person.
"Mot" = wife.
"Having a baby for X" = "X is the father of my baby".
"Gas" = good time; laugh.
"Ride" = have sex with (verb); good person with whom to have sex (noun).
"Eejit" = idiot.

I have another of Doyle's book on the shelf, which I will savour for a while. It's sequel is also available - that is what he was reading from when I saw him in Cheltenham. Sounded good.

No comments: