8 Jul 2005

Inconceivable - by Ben Elton

I enjoyed the style and form of this book. In many ways it reminds me of Bridget Jones.

Sam is one of these people who is very taken with all the trappings of being successful, but doesn't seem to have grasped [early in the book] that, to be successful, you have to do an exceptional job of something.

Lucy is totally obsessed with the idea of having a baby. My observation is that such single-mindedness is not uncommon. As a man, I put it down to hormones. I would like to hear a woman's perspective on this book.

I thought that the self-referential nature of the book was curious. Sam is writing the screenplay for a movie with the name Inconceivable. It reminded me of How to be Good, where a book of that name is being written.

Elton did not disappoint me. It's a good read and I was in there right up to the end. And it does have a satisfactory ending - particularly when you realize that the story isn't really about Sam and Lucy trying to have a baby.

No comments: