28 Jan 2006

Margrave Of The Marshes by John Peel & Sheila Ravenscroft

Well, the verdict after reading this book is: yes, John Peel is someone I'd have liked to meet. I have a clear impression that he really was the guy he portrayed on the radio. I said before that I felt that I knew him. I guess I now feel that I know him a bit better.

The book is very nicely put together. Part 1 is a series of numbered chapters, which is a lightly edited [I think] rendition of the material that John was in the process of writing when he died. Part 2 was written by Sheila to finish of the story and takes the form of continuous text, with no chapters as such. This sounds odd, but works well.

I am aware that I am a slow reader and, at present, I don't get that much time for reading [compared with when I'm travelling]. I am normally keen to get through a book, as there are so many more on my shelf. In this case, I was more reluctant and seemed to read more and more slowly, even though it was well-written. I just realised why: I knew what the end of the story would be and was not in a hurry to get there...

No comments: