2 May 2010

Einstein's Dreams - by Alan Lightman

This book was a present last Christmas. It is unlikely that I would have read it had I not received it as a gift, but I am glad that I did.
It is a set of short essays, each presented as if it were a dream experienced by Einstein. The theme is that each dream takes place in a different world/universe, where the nature of time is different from what we are used to. For example, in one universe, the degree of order [entropy] tends to increase, the reverse of what we expect; for instance, a broken object reassembles itself. In another universe, each person's perception of time was different; one individual may observe a woman as rushing by, whereas another observer may see her strolling slowly.
I found this quite easy to read, entertaining and thought provoking. Each dream is described very much in terms of the people and their experiences, which brings it to life. Recommended.

No comments: