9 May 2010

The Time Traveler's Wife - by Audrey Niffenegger

It is a little while since I read this book. I had heard many good reports of it, but also comments about it being hard to get into initially, but worth the effort. It did take me a few dozen pages to get my head around the time streams, but I guess that many years of Dr Who, Star Trek etc. had prepared me well. I felt a little trepidation, as it is quite a large book and I had not been reading for a while, but I found that I was gripped well enough to not put it down.

It is a thoroughly enjoyable read, a cracking story, which is ultimately all about the people and their relationships. The time travel is just a very imaginative vehicle to carry the story.

Having read the book, I wanted to see the movie, which had mixed reviews, but I was too late, as it was no longer showing. I had it await the release of the DVD, which I bought and viewed recently. This was what spurred me on to write about the book now.

I felt the movie captured the essence of the book very well and we found it very moving. My only tiny disappointment was that a latter [the final?] scene was not included in the movie.

No comments: