1 Apr 2011

Just Six Numbers: The Deep Forces That Shape the Universe by Martin J. Rees

Again, I have read a book in quite a short time. This is partly helped by some train/plane journeys, partly because I'm reading it as an e-book (which seems to encourage me), partly because I am making an effort to put time aside for reading, but it is also because it's a pretty good book.

The idea of the book is to review the current (10 years ago) state of the art in cosmology in layman's terms - though I think a reasonable scientific background is needed to grasp some of the ideas. The author uses the values of six "parameters" of the Universe to drive the story and constantly considers how things would have been different if these values had been just slightly varied. All in all, I felt it gave a good explanation of the Big Bang, dark matter and string theory and provided much food for thought.

A tiny downside of the book was that there were substantial faults with the "translation" to an e-book. In one place it seems to skip a couple of pages. Not a disaster, but annoying.

No comments: